3 Asian Americans Tell Parents They’re Quitting Their Jobs for Youtube

3 Asian Americans Tell Parents They’re Quitting Their Jobs for Youtube


我很緊張
I’m really nervous 今晚應該睡不著
Probably not gonna get much sleep tonight 大家好!我們是 CantoMando
Hey what’s up guys! CantoMando here. 如果你們是第一次看我們的頻道
If you guys are new to this channel, 歡迎來到 CantoMando 的大家庭
we’d like to welcome you to the CantoMando squad, Youtube 上最大、最多姿多彩的大家庭
the biggest and most exciting squad on youtube. 正如大家從標題所看到的
So as you guys can see in the title, 我們並不是在開玩笑,不是整人
we’re not kidding, it’s not a prank. 我們真的辭去我們的工作了
We’re actually quitting our jobs, 今天我們要告訴父母
and we’re gonna go tell our parents today 我們要全職拍影片這件事
that we want to become full-time youtubers. 大概是父母最不想聽到的一件事了吧
Probably the worst thing you could tell your parents ever, 尤其是亞洲父母
especially Asian parents. 看看事情會怎麼發展吧
We’re gonna see how it goes, okay? 事不宜遲,開始吧!
Without further ado, let’s go! 我蛋蛋都在流汗了
I am sweating out of my balls right now. 過去的兩個禮拜
For the past 2 weeks, 我父母一直在關心我的工作狀況
my parents have been asking how is my job. 我跟他們講我在同時兼顧工作跟 CantoMando
I’m telling them I’m doing my job and CantoMando. 我媽最近回中國去了
My mom just recently went back to China 她一直在跟我的親戚說
and she’s been telling all my relatives like, 「Mike 找到工作了」
“Oh wow, Mike has a job.” You know, 「他進這行很不錯,賺到不少錢」
“He’s in such a good industry, he’s making money, 「一切都很好」
everything’s good.” 而我現在…
And I’m like… 我應該不會再回中國了
I’m probably never going back to China. 跟大家講解一下我的背景
Just a little bit background for you guys out there, 我十一月得到這份工作
I’ve been working this job ever since November. 是不錯的行業
It was in a pretty good industry. 第一份工作來說,收入頗可觀的
It was a pretty well-paying entry job, 我的家長對於這份工作
and my parents couldn’t have been more proud of me 感到非常驕傲
getting this job. 我一下子就這樣破滅了這個美好的夢境
And I’m flushing that dream right down the toilet. 辭職對我來說也是一個艱難的決定
Even quitting that job was kinda hard for me. 發 email 給我的上司…
Emailing my CEO… 快成定局了
It’s happening. 天啊
Oh my god. Mike 剛剛跟上司說了要辭職
Alright, so Mike told his CEO that he was gonna quit his job. 讓我們看看他怎麼回覆
And we’re gonna see what his CEO replies. 他回了啊啊啊!
Oh! He said it, oh my god. 給我們看啊 Mike
Show us, Mike. 要死了
Fuck, man. 給我們看
Show us. 我不行啊
Yo, I can’t do this. 這工作我還沒做滿六個月呢
I haven’t even been in the company for less than 6 months. 哇!他的回覆很大方
Oh shit! He was so nice about it. 「我希望你前程錦繡」
“My very best wishes to you for a successful career.” 「我在多倫多的時候可以談一談」
“Happy to chat when I’m in Toronto. 你感覺怎樣?
How do you feel? 我覺得很自由
I feel free. 自由嗎?
You feel free? 對,很自由
Yeah, I feel free. 我告訴你實際情況是怎樣
Let me tell you what actually happened. 他應該是這樣的
He’s like this. 「蛤?又一個廢物要辭職?好吧」
“Huh? Another loser quitting? Sure.” 來吧
Let’s do it. 準備好了嗎?
Are you ready? Edward 你準備好了嗎?
Edward, are you ready? 來吧!
Yeah! Let’s go. 打!
Do it! 我可以先買個墓碑嗎?
Can I just buy my tombstone right now though? 買個墓碑
Like, my headstone. 這樣我等一下就不用買了
And then I don’t have to do this anymore. 來吧,現在八點
Okay. Let’s go. It’s 8 o’clock. 我的天啊
Oh my god, yo. 喂
Hello? 怎麼樣?
How are you? 「還行啦」
“Fine.” 你在家裡呢?
Are you at home? 「嗯」
“Mm.” 我爸呢?
Where’s dad? 「在家呢,看電視呢」
“At home, watching TV.” 看電視呢?
Watching TV? 「我在練琴啦」
“I’m practising piano.” 我可以跟你和我爸說一個事情嗎?
Can I tell you and dad about something? 「喔,行,那我把那個打開一下」
“Oh, okay. Hold on, let me put you on speaker.” 「什麼事?」
“What’s up?” 我…
I… 我辭職了
I quit my job. 哼
*Exhale in disappointment* 「為什麼要辭職呢?」
“Why did you quit your job?” 我辭職因為我要做那個…我們要一起做
I quit my job because we’re going to do… CantoMando
…CantoMando together. 「為什麼要這樣做呢?」
“Why did you do that?” 因為我們覺得…就是現在…
Because we think…at this moment… 「你覺得你能養活你自己呢?」
“Do you think you can support your living?” 對
Yes. 現在我保持兩個東西的平衡
I’m balancing both sides at the moment, 然後現在我們就覺得有這麼一個機會去爭取
but we figured there are opportunities for us to pursue. 「再商量一下呢」
“Is there room for discussion?” 「你可以跟公司說這期間先放個假」
“You can take a leave from work for a while.” 「你也不能這樣子,說辭就辭」
“You can’t just do that, just quit all of a sudden.” 「我現在不舒服啊,Mike,我需要考慮一下」
“I don’t feel very well. Mike, I need time to consider.” 「我覺得這麼大的事情,我覺得我們應該商量一下」
“For such a significant matter, I think we need to discuss further.” 「我覺得你…你現在你們做的那些東西呢」
“I think what you…what you guys are doing right now,” 「只是像個興趣」
“is just a hobby.” 「現在你在這個社會上」
“In today’s society,” 「有一個穩定的工作還是需要自己珍惜的」
“you should not take a steady job for granted.” 「自己想想,如果我們不資助你的話」
“Think about it, if we don’t provide you any support,” 對
Yeah. 「你靠 CantoMando 能夠生活嗎?」
“Can you make a living out of CantoMando?” 「覺得到今年底我可以靠自己生活」
I believe I can support myself by the end of this year. 「不行,但是你從長遠來講的話…」
“No. In the long run…” 「你這 CantoMando 都不是很穩定的」
“Your CantoMando thing isn’t that stable now.” 你想一下,我覺得不踏實,我真的會做這個決定嗎?
Do you think I’ll make this decision If I‘m not being practical? 因為這個決定對我也不是很簡單
Because this is not an easy decision for me as well. 「我覺得你這個還是應該好好想一想」
“I think you need to think about it.” 「我覺得你現在要走的這條路」
“I think this path that you just chose,” 「不是我所預期的」
“is not something I have expected.” 對,但是
Yes. But… 「我覺得你應該自己能夠去…就是不要把一些好的東西丟掉」
“I think you shouldn’t give up valuable things.” 對
Yes. 「丟掉以後很可惜」
“It’s a pity to give up.” 「你花了很多時間、很多精神」
“You spent so much time, so much effort,” 「跟很多知識去攀升到這個地位」
so much knowledge on this job to be promoted to this level.” 「都是很不容易的」
“All of these are not easy.” 我沒說這是很容易的東西
I’m not saying those are easy to attain, 但是我就說這是我心裡覺得想做的事
but this is what I truly want to do. 然後我心裡覺得我想冒險,嘗試一下
I am willing to risk it, and try things out. 「從我的性格,對吧?」
“Speaking from my personality, yeah?” 對
Yeah. 「從我受的教育,文化」
“Speaking from how I was educated, my culture, 「這個東西是一種玩兒」
“This is only for fun.” 「是一種娛樂」
“It is just a form of entertainment.” 「這個東西不是我的職業目標」
“This would not be my career goal.” 這些東西都是…你說的東西都是百分之百對的
What you are saying is 100% accurate, you are right. 但是要是…我的一個目標
But it is my goal. 「像你這個年齡,我也不會去做」
“If I were you age, I wouldn’t do this.” 對好,但是你要接受這個現實嘛
Okay. But you need to accept this situation. 「我不能接受,我是覺得挺遺憾的」
“I can’t accept. I think it’s a pity.” 「如果你做這個決定的話,將來就…我擔心你的將來」
“If you make this decision…I worry about your future.” 「我希望你有一種比較好的生活」
“I hope to see you living a good life.” 「你能夠養活你自己」
“You can support yourself.” 「有多少人做的工作都是他們喜歡的?」
“How many people out there like their own job?” 「你去做一個調查」
“You can do survey.” 「百分之八十的人都不一定喜歡自己的工作」
“80% of people don’t necessarily like their jobs.” 但是問題是…
But the thing is… 對,他們必須得…我同意
Yes, they have to…I agree. 但是問題是,我覺得我有一個機會
But the thing is, I think I have a chance. 知道嗎?
You know? 要是百分之十的機會,百分之五的機會,我有一個機會
Even if it’s a 10% or 5% chance, I have a chance. 然後我有這個機會,我有一點希望
I have this chance, and I have hope. 我在這個機會,我在這個年齡
I have this opportunity at this age, 沒有很多的責任
when I don’t have many responsibilities, 我也沒有什麼家庭和這些東西
no family, whatsoever. 我覺得我想把握
I am willing to take this chance. 「我不想跟你說了」
“I don’t want to talk to you anymore.” 「你那個…你自己想吧」
“You think about it.” 好
Okay. 「我該說的話都說了」
“I’ve said all I need to say.” 拜拜
Bye bye. 哎,這45分鐘就是滿滿的——
Oh man, that was 45 minutes of pure bru– 我早知道我父母會這樣說
I knew my parents were gonna say this, 因為我來自一個很傳統很保守的背景
cos I come from a very tradition and conservative background. 他們覺得某條道路就是唯一的出路
They view a certain path as the only path, right? 唯一能夠支持生活跟擁有事業的道路
The only way to have a living, have a career. 他們覺得另一半就是
And they view the other half as something that 他們不熟悉的範疇
they’re not exposed to. 就是不接受這個現實
Just not accepting of that situation. 他們終究會妥協的
They’ll definitely come to terms with the situation. 因為…都已經發生了
Because…it’s already happened. 老實說,他們的反應比我想像的
To be honest, it turned out a little worse 要更差一點
than I thought it was gonna be. 耶!
Yay! 為了 CantoMando
For CantoMando. 我還是愛他們的
I still love them. 即便他們不…
Even they don’t… 他們沒看到我所看到的
They don’t see what I see right now. 只要我們賺到一筆錢,他們就會接受
It’ll all blow over once we make good money, or… 或者只要我們無家可歸
once we go homeless, so… 總會接受的
one way or the other. 上個星期我考完了最後一個試
Last week I had my last exam. 我每天都在溫習
I’ve been studying all day. 迫不及待要搞定這個考試了
Can’t wait for that last exam to go. 我考完試以後
When I’ve finished the exam, 我感覺非常棒
I had this amazing feeling. 永別啦,滑鐵盧
Peace out, Waterloo! 以後都不用回來啦
We’re done forever. 我覺得很自由
I feel so free. 這應該是我人生中最棒的感覺了
This is probably the greatest feeling of my life, man. 現在我要跟我爸媽講
Now I’ll tell my mom and my dad about this. 就是,我不會找傳統工作這件事
That, you know, I’m not gonna go for it. 我其實很害怕,因為…
It’s actually frightening to me, cos… 我其實…我一直到剛剛還以為我沒什麼事
I was actually…I thought I’d be cool with it up to now. 因為我的父母一直都是很輕鬆的
Because my parents have always been pretty chill and stuff. 我覺得目前為止
But I think up to now, 我人生中最擔憂的一件事就是…
the thing I’ve been the most scared of in my life is… 令我的父母失望
being a disappointment to my parents. 他們工作很辛苦,他們總是支持我所做的一切
They work so hard, they support me in everything I do. 讓他們傷心絕對是令我最受傷的事
If there’s one that really hurts me, is making them sad. 或者是要他們替我擔心,尤其是我媽
Or making them worry. Especially my mom. 同時,我不是傻的
At the same time, I’m not stupid. 我不會輕易做出決定
I don’t make decision because I was like, 「去他的責任,去他的工作,我想做這個」
“Screw responsibility, screw work, I want to go for this.” 我覺得我現在的處境是我已經累積到經驗
I feel like I’m at a place where I have the experience. 如果我們一年後還沒有什麼起色
If things don’t work out in a year, you know, 我總有退路的
I can go back on something. 不管他們怎麼說
No matter what they say, 我是不會後悔做了這個決定的
I’m not gonna have any regrets on my decision. 對不起啦媽
Sorry mom. 好吧,就來吧
Alright, let’s fucking go for it. 好
Alright. 「哈嘍」
“Hello.” 喂
Hello. 「怎麼樣?」
“What’s up?” 你現在忙嗎?
Are you busy right now? 「不是很忙,有什麼事?」
“Not really, what is it?” 我要跟你講我的生活計畫
I want to talk to you about my life plan. 「生活計畫,你跟你爸說啊,幹嘛跟我說?」
“Life plan? Talk to your dad about it, why me?” 喔好,那我跟爸爸說
Oh okay. I’ll talk to dad then. 「你跟爸爸跟我一起找一天…」
“You should find a day where…” 「坐下來好好說嘛」
“you, me, and dad can sit down and talk about it.” 「怎麼可以隨便就電話上說了就算呢?」
“We can’t just casually talk about it on the phone.” 喔好
Oh okay. 「那你現在說吧,算了我聽吧」
“Just tell me about it anyway, I’ll listen.” 好吧,我決定了我剛畢業
Okay. So I’ve decided that now I’ve graduated, 我決定了我想嘗試做一年 CantoMando
I’ve decided I want to try to do CantoMando for a year. 「嗯哼」
“Uh huh.” 然後如果做不成,那我就找工作囉
And then if it fails, I’ll get a job. 「嗯哼」
“Uh huh.” 「一年,就是從今年算起,到下年的四月底」
“One year, so from now on to the end of April next year.” 是囉
Yeah. 我不是傻的,你知道
I’m not stupid, you know what I mean. 我當然是想清楚了,你知道
I’ve thought deep about it, you know what I mean. 「我也知道你不是傻的」
“I know you’re not stupid.” 「不過我怕你嘗試過以後」
“But I’m just worried that after you’re done trying things out,” 「然後就…不知道怎樣」
“then…I don’t know.” 我已經做了九份實習了
You know how I’ve done 9 internships, right? 我也算是有很多經驗嘛
I’ve had a considerable amount of work experience. 「我知道你可以先放個假」
“I know you can take a break first.” 是囉
Yeah. 「那麼你可以先做半年試試看」
“You can see how things go for half a year, 「或者九個月,看看怎麼樣,好嗎?」
or 9 months, and see how it turns out, okay?” 「然後再決定吧,太久就不好了」
“Then you can decide. Don’t hold on for too long though,” 「因為太久的話,人家看你的…」
“Because if you do it for too long, your resume would look…” 「工作的紀錄,人家會問你幹了什麼」
“People would ask what you were doing in this period.” 「不過你也可以證明你做過 CantoMando」
“But you can prove you were doing CantoMando.” 是囉
Yeah. 「也是可以的,對啊」
“It’s okay, yeah.” 「還有什麼事?」
“Yeah. Anything else?” 你反應就這樣嗎?那好吧
That was your reaction? Okay then. 如果你…
Well if you… 如果你說可以,那我也就可以了
If you’re okay with it, then I’m okay with it. 「要不然要怎樣?」
“How else would I react then? 「你自己有錢花的嘛,你自己會付錢的嘛」
“You’ll support your own living, you’ll pay for your expenses.” 是囉
Yeah. 「好了我不跟你說了,電話響了」
“I have to go, I have a call to answer.” 好吧,拜拜
Okay, bye bye. 我是說…
Yeah, I mean… 比我預期的也順利太多了
That went a lot better than I expected. 我有點生氣呢
I’m kinda mad now. 我預備了一段講詞要跟我媽說的
I had a whole speech ready for my mom. 然後她就這樣說「好吧,拜拜」
And she was like, “Okay, bye bye.” 我預備了一段講詞呢!
I had a whole speech ready! 因為我沒跟我媽講到
Okay so because I couldn’t say it to my mom, 所以我跟大家講吧
I will say it to you guys. 如果我堅持…
If I keep doing… 我是個工作狂,我可以不間斷工作
I’m a workaholic, I could work forever. 但如果我一直同時做兩件事
But if I just keep balancing half-half, 我永遠不會成為一個成功的數據科學家或是工程師
I’m never gonna be amazing as a data scientist or an engineer, 我也永遠不會成為一個成功的 youtuber
and I’m never gonna be amazing as a youtuber, CantoMando. 所以我倒不如選一樣
So I might as well pick, okay? 媽媽!
Alright. Mom! 我知道你會看的
I know you’re gonna watch this, 所以我這是跟你說的
so that’s to you, okay? 好了,那我現在要打給我爸了
Alright, I’m gonna call my dad now, okay? 「怎樣,兒子?」
“What’s up, son?” 喂,你在哪裡?
Hey, where are you? 在工作嗎?
Are you working? 喔
Oh. 「幹嘛?」
“What is it?” 喔好,那嗯…
Oh okay, well um… 你現在很忙嗎?
Are you busy now? 「不是啊」
“Not really.” 喔那好,我想跟你說我的生活計畫
Oh okay, I want to talk to you about my life plan. 「你又在拍影片嗎?」
“Are you filming again?” 沒有在拍啊,老兄
I’m not filming, dude, okay? 是真的
For real, okay? 不是啊爸爸
No, dad. 是真的,好嗎?
For real, okay? 「我在談東西」
“I’m in a meeting, okay?” 好吧,拜拜
Okay, bye bye. 我很高興終於跟他們說了…
I’m really glad that I got to tell them… 算是吧
Somewhat. 我剛回家,跟我爸聊了一會
So I just came home and talked to my dad. 他十分支持我,他說
He was really supportive, he was like, 「不管我說什麼,就算我不支持你
“No matter what I say, even if I don’t support you, 你還是會辭職做這事的」
you’re gonna quit and do it anyway.” 「那我為什麼不支持你」他是這樣說的
“So I might as well support you.” That’s what he said. 他告訴我:「盡力而為」
He told me, “Just do you best, and…” 「就算最後不成功,你還年輕
“if it doesn’t work out, you’re young, 你還有很多機會,所以你放心冒險吧」
and you have all these opportunities, so just go for it.” 我感覺如釋重擔
I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulder. 我媽每天都在問我
My mom has been asking me every day, 「你什麼時候要找工作?」
“When are you looking for a job, huh?” 「你畢業了,什麼時候要找工作?」
“You just graduated, when are you looking for a job?” 至少我現在不用說謊
I mean at least now I don’t need to lie anymore 不用騙他們講我在找工作
and say I’m looking for a job when I’m not. 對,好吧
Yeah, okay. 謝謝大家!
Thank you guys! 請按讚,留言,訂閱
Please like, comment, and subscribe. 這是我們的周邊「乖孫」
This is our merch, it’s called “guai sun”. 我們現在特別需要大家的支持
Especially now we need your support. 按讚,留言,訂閱 我們會留言叫大家訂閱
We’re gonna leave a comment on this video, subscribe. 我們還有 Instagram,還有 facebook
We have an instagram page, we have a facebook page. 其實四月十日是我最後一天上班
Actually my last day of work was April 10th. 然後四月十一日我帶我媽去旅遊了
And then I took my mom on vacation April 11th. 我們沒有跟她講,因為我知道如果她知道了
We didn’t tell her because I knew that if I told her, 成段旅程我都會被她煩著
I would hear it the entire time. 我跟老闆說之前,我十分緊張
Before I told my boss, I actually was very nervous. 我在洗手間裡
I was in the bathroom. 我有點害怕
Okay, I’m kinda scared. 我在做開合跳
I’m trying to do some jumping jacks. 我可以的
Okay, I can do it. 我跟她講了,她還蠻支持我的
I told her, and she was actually very supportive of me. 我覺得她沒有絲毫的不高興
In no way did I feel that she was upset at me. 我們都明白我為什麼要這樣做
We understood why I need to do what I did. 這樣事情就很順利
It made it a lot easier. 這跟我媽講完全是兩碼子事
Telling my mom is always a different thing, right? 我有點緊張
Yeah, I’m kinda nervous. 今晚大概不能睡個好覺吧
I probably won’t get much sleep tonight. 開始吧
Let’s go! 媽媽
Mom. 好緊張啊
So nervous. 「喂?」
“Hello?” 媽?
Mom? 「怎樣啊?」
“What’s up?” 我回來前想跟你講一件事
I want to tell you something before I come back. 「又是什麼事?」
“What is it again?” 「很嚴重的嗎?」
“Is it serious?” 工作跟做視頻
Working and making videos is like 差不多像是兩個工作,是嗎?
having 2 jobs at the same time, right? 就是…
Like… 什麼?
What? 「你被炒魷魚了嗎?」
“Are you fired?” 不是炒魷魚,我是…
I’m not fired. I… 我是辭職了
I resigned. 「你不是吧?」
“Are you serious?” 是啊
Serious. 「你為什麼要辭職呢?」
“Why did you quit?” 「你現在這些不能兼職啊,弟弟」
“What you do now can’t make a living, son!” 「你沒工作不行的」
“You can’t live without a job.” 媽咪,我想用盡力去…
Mom, I want to try my hardest to… 三個人用盡力去…
The three of us together want to try our hardest to… 一年左右去做視頻,做其他生意
make videos and do some business in a year. 然後…
And then… 如果真的做不成,就回去找工作
If it doesn’t work out, then I’ll get a job. 我覺得這個風險一定要嘗試
I believe this is a risk that I must take. 我又可以做我想做,讓我開心的事
I can do something I truly enjoy, 又可以成功賺到錢
and make a living successfully at the same time. 「你工作好好的,為什麼不做?已經辭了嗎?」
“You had a decent job, why give up? Have you quit already?” 辭了
I quit already. 「有沒有搞錯?真的是」
You’ve gotta be kidding me. 「你工作好好的」
“You had a decent job.” 「你辭了,那你怎麼賺錢?」
“How do you make money now that you’ve quit?” 「你要繳租金,要生活的嘛,老兄」
“You have rent to pay, you have a life to live, dude.” 「你有點衝動,真的是,你傻傻的」
“You’re being impulsive. You’re so silly.” 「難得你有一份工作好好的,你幹嘛走開?」
“You had a decent job, why did you walk away from it?” 「又有福利什麼的」
“They provide employee benefits and all that.” 媽,如果我將來做不成,我可以…
Mom, if it doesn’t work out, I can… 工作時時刻刻也可以找
There are always job opportunities out there. 這些機會很少人有
Not everyone has this kind of opportunity. 一定要冒險
I have to risk it. 媽咪,不要怕
Mom, you don’t have to worry, okay? 我沒問題的,能照顧自己
I’ll do just fine. I can look after myself, 將來照顧你的
and I will take care of you in the future. 「你想想你不找點實際的工作,這樣不行的,弟弟」
“You won’t make it if you don’t get a legitimate job, son.” 媽,我是想…
Mom, I want to… 我兩邊不夠時間做
If I can’t make enough time to do both at the same time 我兩邊也不會成功,對不對?
I won’t succeed in either of them, right? 你相不相信我,媽咪?
Do you believe in me, mom? 「不要再說了,我嚇壞了」
“I don’t want to hear it anymore. I’m worried to death.” 「不用怕的」
You don’t have to worry. 「不是這麼容易能找到這樣的工作的,弟弟」
“It’s not that easy to find such job, son.” 我知道,但也不是這麼容易可以有我這樣的機會
I know, but it’s also not easy to have such opportunity too. *怒氣沖沖的咕噥*
*Mumbles in rage* 「又從頭開始囉」
“You have to start over again.” 「我不知道,我想也沒什麼了」
“I don’t know. I guess I don’t have much more to say.” 「反正就是,人不腳踏實地
“Anyway, if you don’t keep your feet on the ground, 就會整天擔驚受怕」
there will be a lot to worry about.” 「興趣就是興趣,很多人也有興趣」
“Hobby is hobby. Everyone has hobbies.” 「不可以只為了興趣」
“You can’t just care for your hobbies.” 「你總是要生存才能找到興趣」
“You need to survive in order to pursue your hobby.” 總之有時候生命走到了交叉路口
Sometimes when we we find ourselves at a crossroad in life, 一定要選一條路走,對不對?
we have to choose a path, right? 我已經選好了,我只是想跟你說一聲
I’ve already chosen my path, I’m just letting you know. 「你喜歡吧,自己喜歡吧」
“Up to you, it’s your choice.” 現在有機會在我面前
I now have this opportunity right in front of me, 一定要去試一下做讓我自己開心的事
I have to take it and do something that makes me happy. 「不是只顧著今天的開心」
“You don’t just care about your happiness in the present moment.” 「不是這樣的,弟弟」
“Things don’t work this way, son.” 「應該要鋪一條長遠的路」
“You need to pave your way in the long run.” 知道了
I know. 我是想試一下做自己的事,像我爸爸一樣
I want to do something for myself, like dad. 他自己有生意,不是替人家打工
He has his own business, he doesn’t work for someone else. 「他那種是實際的,人家是實際」
“His business is realistic. It’s practical.” 「你怎麼知道我的不實際?」
How do you know mine isn’t realistic? 「讓人頭疼,真的是」
“You worry me.” 「你工作要是安安定定,你不冒這個險
“If you had a stable job, if you don’t take this risk, 那你就沒壓力囉,沒這麼多壓力」
you won’t be stressed. As much.” 媽,如果我不冒這個險
Mom, if I don’t take this risk, 我不會開心,不會滿意的
I won’t be happy, I won’t be satisfied. 我現在還年輕,還有很多年
I am still young, I have many years ahead of me. 又沒有兒子,沒女兒,沒老婆
I don’t have a son, a daughter, nor a wife. 又不用照顧家庭
I don’t have a family to look after. 「這事情還比有小孩更煩心」
“This is a lot more alarming than you having kids.” 「我不知道…我也不知道」
“I don’t know…I really don’t know.” 「聽到你這樣,我心很煩」
“You worry me a lot by telling me this.” 「就這樣吧,我冷靜一下,拜拜」
“That’s it, I need time to calm down, bye bye.” 拜拜
Bye bye. 我是說…
Well, I mean… 我是已經預計到這樣的反應
That was the reaction I expected. 讓我解釋一下我的家庭背景
Let me give you some background information about my family. 我媽媽獨力撫養我跟姐姐
My mom raised my sister and I as a single mom. 我父母已經離婚了
My parents are divorced. 我媽這麼擔心的原因是…
So the reason why my mom is so worried is because… 她覺得我孤立無援
she sees me as all alone. 如果這事失敗的話
She doesn’t have the capability to take care of me 她沒有能力去照顧我
if things go wrong in the future. 這是她從我們小時候到現在
That’s always been something that has been bothering her 一直在煩惱著的事
ever since we were young. 我覺得這就是為什麼她這麼擔心
So I think that’s the reason why she’s so worried about… 這一切,但…
all of this, but… 見鬼
Fuck. 總而言之
Yeah, anyway. 我們會盡力的
We’re gonna work our best, and… 我不想讓她操心我的事情
I don’t want her to worry for me like that. 我會照顧好自己的,將來也會照顧她
And I’ll take care of myself. And her in the future. 我父母總是…
My parents always… 他們總覺得我是他們的「產品」
They always viewed me as a “product of them”. 重要的是教育,獲得生活技能
What’s important is education, finding good skillsets. 他們的價值觀…
Their values and… 他們的方法是…
The way of like…you know. 「學好數學,學就是了」
“Be good at math. Just do it.” 對我而言,我從沒有一刻是用心的
For me, it’s like I never concentrated for a second. 我學好是為了令他們感到驕傲
I was doing it more so to make them proud. 我覺得這對他們來說是一個很意外的消息
I think this is such a big bomb that dropped on them, 因為他們覺得我已經上了軌道
because they felt like I was already going in this path 一條他們接受的軌道
that they kinda accepted, 從他們的價值觀來看
based on their value. 上大學,找到好工作
Go to university, get a good job. 然後我就毫無預兆的改變一切
And I just kind of like, just went hard left, 他們就覺得「為什麼?」
and then they’re just like, “why?” 我相信他們全心全意接受我就是我
I believe though that they truly accept me for who I am. 他說:「你從小
He’s like “ever since you’re young, 就有點不按牌理出牌
you always did things in a weird way. 你拿著成績單回家
Come bring grades home, but… 成績很爛,但美術卻很好
Shitty grades, but you would get good at art. 你總是充滿著驚喜」
It’s like you’re always full of surprises.” 但他最後說了
But the last thing he said was like, 「這並不是壞事」
“That’s not a bad thing though.” 我把它解讀成
It translated in my head like, 「就算你沒有按我們的預期去規劃人生
“Even though you didn’t do everything that we expected to be, 我們還是會接受你的全部」
we accept you for who you are.” 對我來說,這句話充滿力量
That for me was extremely extremely powerful. 即使我父母的反應沒有很大
Even though my parents’ reaction wasn’t like, “Oh my god.” 還是有一點出乎意料之外
It was a bit of “oh my god” in the fact that… 我了解我的父母,我也清楚無論我做什麼
I know my parents, and I know everything I do, 他們也會支持我
they support me. 我從來沒有這麼用心工作過
This is the hardest I’ve ever worked. 比在學校還用心
Harder than I’ve worked ever in school, 比任何事情都用心
in everything. 我只是覺得這是
I just think that this is something 我可以傾盡心血的事
that I can really put my heart into, 可以努力的事
and work my hardest. 這是我能夠有所成就的事業
It’s the thing that I can do well, 我覺得這就是他們相信我的理由
and I think it’s the thing they believe in me for. 我的動力是…
My main motivation is… 我從我媽的角度去想了一下
Really thinking back about what my mom’s perspective is, 因為她在中國長大
because she grew up in China, 吃了很多苦
and she’s been through a lot of hardships. 她白手起家
She had nothing. 我媽…
My mom… 並不是說她從來對我沒信心
I wouldn’t say she never had confidence in me, 但我總是
but I was always the guy 達不到她對我的期望
who kind of never met up to her expectations. 我的動力是不想讓她替我擔心
My motivation is really no needing her to worry. 因為她擔心的是…
Because what she worries about is… 她是有原因的嘛
You know, she has a reason, right? 但我一次又一次地證明了
But I’ve proven to myself over and over again that 我可以成功的
I can do something like this. 我可以照顧好自己
I’ll take care of myself. 我媽的話,其實就是
With my mom, it’s just more so like, 她沒看到實際成果就不會有信心
she won’t believe it until she sees it. 沒問題,我不需要你相信我
It’s okay, I don’t need you to believe it, 我只需要你支持我
I just need your support. 我覺得她內心是支持我的
And I think deep down, she really does support me. 她只是擔心
She’s just worried. 所以我的動力就是讓她不再擔心
So my motivation is to get her not to worry. 這其實給了我很多激勵
Actually all this just gives me more motivation. 我肯定你們也…
I’m sure it gives us… 開弓沒有回頭箭
You guys, you know there’s no turning back, right? 我們得堅持下去
We have to do it now. 如果你有動力,你有自信
If you have motivation, you’re confident, 你努力做好想做的事
you strive towards what you want to do, 你就應該緊握機會
you should always take this chance. 在屏幕的另一邊的大家
You guys out there watching us right now, 我們也不知道事情會怎麼發展
we’re not sure how we’re gonna turn out, 但我知道我們絕對不會後悔
but I know that we won’t have any regrets 去做這件事
doing what we’re doing right now. 尤其是在中國文化
Especially in Chinese culture, 我跟很多同輩也面對著同樣的事
I, along with a lot of my peers, have gone through this. 你的父母為你犧牲了這麼多
Your parents have sacrificed so much for you, 我從來不覺得是理所當然的
I don’t take that for granted at all. 但很多時候,有人會覺得
But a lot of times, people think because of that, 你欠了父母
you are in debt to them, 所以你要迎合他們的所有要求
and you need to do every single thing that they want, 跟活出他們給你設計好的人生
and live life that they have carved for you. 但其實你是一個獨立的個體
But in reality, you are your own individual. 跟隨你內心的聲音,因為這是你的生活
Do you things that you want, cos it’s your life. 你總要放手一搏
You’ll take a shot at it. 這將會很瘋狂
It’ll be crazy. 會很瘋狂,不過就豁出去吧
It’ll be crazy, but like, alright fuck it, you know. 路程不一定會很順利
Things might not necessarily work out. 我對我們有信心,但…
I believe in us, but… 天知道會發生什麼事
Who knows what’s gonna happen, right? 就是這一絲希望跟信仰
It’s that little sliver of hope and that faith 當然還有你們,幫助我們走下去
and you guys, of course, that help us move forward. 情緒有點上來了
So it’s pretty emotional, man! 這通電話不只是我們路程的開始
The call was not only a beginning of a journey for us, 而是我們跟你們大家的
but for us and you guys. 這讓我大開眼界,但我不確定
This was really eye-opening for us, but I’m not sure 這支影片對大家有沒有什麼啟發
what watching this video will mean to you guys, 但我希望這…
but I hope it’s something… 能給大家帶來一點正能量
it brings something positive into your life. 正在收看的你
You know there are people out there… 如果你想做類似的事
If you’re considering doing something like what we just did, 我們與你同在
you know, we’re with you, right? 你不是孤單的
You’re not alone out there, so… 如果你想放手一搏,就跟我們一起放吧
If you want to take that jump, you can take it with us. Edward,接下來就會發生全球大瘟疫
Edward, next thing you know is global pandemic. 所有Y世代都辭去工作
Every millennial quit their job. 「如果你想放手一搏,就跟我們一起放吧」
“If you want to take this jump, take it with us.” Right? 某個 youtuber 掀起全國——
Random youtuber caused nationwide– 全球經濟大衰退
Global economic meltdown again, right? 大家都覺得「我不想工作了
Everybody’s like, “Nah, I don’t want to work anymore, 管他媽的」
let’s just all fuck it.” 如果你喜歡今天的影片
If you guys enjoyed today’s video, then… 記得訂閱我們
hit that subscribe button. 留言
Comment. Patreon. 周邊可以在 www.familytimecm.com 找到
Merch, www.familytimecm.com 保持傷感
Please stay sentimental. 我們在 instagram 上發佈小劇場的影片
We have an instagram where we do funny skits. 我們每個禮拜會在 youtube 上做各種挑戰
We have a youtube where we do weekly challenges, 還會每個禮拜在 youtube 上發佈反應影片
and we have youtube where we also do reactions weekly. 到所有的平台上按讚
Go on all those platforms, and like it all, okay? 求求你
Please! 我們都淚流滿臉了
It’s like tears rolling down our eyes, 就按吧
it’s like yo just do it man! 是我們唯一的希望了
It’s our only hope! 求你按下這個按鈕
Just fucking click that button man! 就這樣啦大家,再見
Until next time, guys, goodbye.